If you get funding from Student Finance England you may be able to apply for additional grants and allowances.

A quick guide on what grants are avaliable to stduents funded by Student Finanace England.

If you are studying at ARU London you could be eligible for:

Adult Dependants' Grant

If you’re a full-time student in higher education and an adult depends on you financially, you can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to:

  • £2,925 for the 2018 to 2019 academic year
  • £2,834 for the 2017 to 2018 academic year


Usually the adult dependant will be:

  • your husband, wife, partner or civil partner
  • a relative, such as a parent or grandparent

If you’re under 25, the adult dependant cannot be your partner unless you’re married or in a civil partnership.

You’re not eligible if the adult dependant is:

  • your child
  • a relative who earns more than £3,796 a year
  • getting student finance

Childcare Grant

You can get up to 85% of your childcare costs.

The amount you’ll get depends on:

  • your household income
  • the cost of your childcare
  • the number of children who are dependent on

The maximum you can get is:

  • up to £164.70 a week for 1 child
  • up to £282.36 a week for 2 or more children

If you do not give details about your childcare provider on your application form, your first payment will be a maximum of £127.33 a week or 85% of your estimate (whichever is less).

You’ll receive the money in 3 instalments over the academic year. The payments will usually be made at the start of each term, directly into your bank account.

Any money you get is paid on top of your student finance and you do not have to pay it back.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

If you have a disability we encourage you to get in touch during your application process so we can discuss what support we can offer you.

These grants help to pay the essential extra costs you may have as a direct result of your disability including a mental-health condition, or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia.

Our Study Support Service offers inforamtion, advice an dsupport to students with disabilites, including menthal health difficutlies, on-going medical conditions and specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia.

We hold drop-in sessions for current students, where you can discuss anything with us in confidence. Our Student Welfare Officer is happy to have a face-to-face meeting or you can call 0207 400 6790 or e-mail any time.

We may be able to asssit you with sepcial arrangements for your lectures and for your examinations.You may also find you're eligble for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), which can be used for equiptment and support to help you to complete your course. Take a look at the DSA website for more information, or contact us if if you'd like to talk it over.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

This allowance is to help with course-related costs like books, study materials and travel if you have dependent children. You can get up to £1,573 per year depending on your income and that of those you live with.

Any amount you’re entitled to is paid in addition to your main student finance package. It’s paid directly into your bank account in three instalments, at the same time as any Maintenance Loan or Grant you get.Please note this allowance is only available to Undergraduate students.

Special Support Grant

The amount you can get through the Special Support Grant is the same as what’s available through the Maintenance Grant. It doesn’t affect your Maintenance Loan and doesn’t have to be paid back.

You could be eligible for a Special Support Grant if you:

  • Are a lone (single) parent
  • Have a partner who is also a student and one or both of you are responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher education level
  • Have a disability and qualify for the Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium
  • Are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances
  • Have been treated as incapable of work for at least 28 weeks
  • Have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Are from outside the UK and are entitled to an Income Support Urgent Cases Payment because you’re temporarily without any money for up to six weeks
  • Are waiting to go back to a course after agreed time out due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended
  • Are aged 60 or older
  • Are studying at Undergraduate level

The Special Support Grant doesn’t need to be counted as income when you work out your entitlement to income-related benefits or tax credits.

Where next?